Monday, October 6, 2014

Welcome to Siena!

Hello, Siena! Or should I say ciao, Siena!

Admittedly, I’ve already been here for a week, but I’m still figuring my way around the city so I believe a greeting is still appropriate.

I was sad to leave Greece, but I am so excited to be in Italy.


View from the top of Lycabettus Hill, the tallest point in all of Athens. We hiked up this hill our last night in Athens to watch the sunset.

After a beautiful last night in Greece, we all got up before the crack of dawn (our bus left at 3:30am to be exact) to make our way to Italy. Bus and airplane rides are NOT my favorite way to spend a morning because I have a very hard time sleeping on them, but I was too excited to care at this point.

After a short flight, we landed in Italy -- and then we had a three hour bus ride to Siena. Luckily, I had two seats to myself so I was able to lay down and catch some rest.

Riding through the Tuscan countryside was exactly as beautiful as you’d imagine it, but I was very excited when we arrived in Siena. Pictures of this city do not do it justice, it is far more beautiful than any photograph could detail.


View of Siena from where we ate lunch the very first day here

So now I’ve spent a week in this lovely city, and I’ve been getting to know it a little better each and every day. I have my favorite running spot -- an old fortress that has breath-taking views of the city and the surrounding Tuscan countryside -- and I’ve had waiters recognize me and say “Ciao!” to me while walking down the street. Slowly but surely, I’m turning Siena into home. Unfortunately, about the time Siena becomes home it will be time for me to leave, but maybe I just won’t leave!!

One last note: we visited the Duomo on Friday. I won’t write much about it, because I feel that words simply cannot describe how beautiful this cathedral is. I caught myself forgetting to breathe at times because it was so magnificent. If you ever find yourself in Tuscany, take the time to visit the Duomo in Siena.

  
Duomo in Siena

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa,
    I hope you enjoy Italy. If you get a chance to go to Lucca, Italy it would be a nice trip. You can get there by train. It is one of the few remaining walled cities in Europe. My ancestral Great-Grandfather, Emil Andreini, came from there to the UP to work in the copper mines. I visited the city 8 yrs ago. Beautiful city!! Enjoy each & every day. Jay P Andreini

    ReplyDelete